Whiskey Lips and Plenty More Fish



I yanked her straight up
By the lip
To my knee
Her flip flapping ways 
An amusement to see
I scraped off a scale 
A glimmering delight
Which faded as she dried
In the frigid moonlight

So I dropped her back in 
And she sank to the sand 
Her life taken from her 
By a flick of my hand 
And I watched as the darkness
Engulfed her for tea

Well there's plenty more fish
In the sea for me
Yes there's plenty more fish 
In the sea

My wide eyes beyond me 
Were scanning to find 
The next pretty fish 
I'd be taking for mine
With the band playing jazz 
By the fiery bronze stand
I grabbed her by the neck
As the sax took command 

Her eyes full of sorrow
With her little lost life
I could see she would never
Be the warm, loving wife
So I kissed her fat lip
And threw her to shame
How dare she deny me
My strong family name

In time she'd regret
Going against my decree
But I'll shed not a tear
As she wasn't for me
I'll find the right fish
Ideal as can be

Yes, there's plenty more fish
In the sea there for me
There's plenty more fish
In the sea

I sat until morning
Single malt in my right
Waiting for a lover
Just perfect to bite
When sunrise brought light to
The mess that I'd made
A pool of red water
With all those I sleighed

A sickness took over
My hands they sure shook
I pulled up the rod to remove
My death hook
When I saw my reflection
A cold-hearted fool
A waster of plenty
On a low cutty-stool

I dragged myself home
Dried guts on my hand
Fell to my knees
To salute my gold band
To the girl who was always
My catch of the sea
The girl this old arse
Had forgotten how to see
Yes, the girl
I forgot how to see

Now I sit by the water
And drink to my rock
She winks at me
Slowly removing her frock
A flicker of doubt
Is distracted by she

There's plenty more fish
But not one right for me
Yes there's plenty more fish
In the sea.



©Shay Crinkle 2016












Comments